This year, The CSPH has created the opportunity for one intern to work with our team for a full year, starting in June 2015. This position is open to local applicants or those who are willing to relocate for the duration of the internship. Main tasks will center around event planning and organizational development. Our ideal long-term intern will have the ability to work independently and in groups, prioritize deadlines and tasks, and have some experience working within a non-profit environment, preferably in grants and donor relations. Along with a dedication to our mission and a stellar personality, the internship requires 20 hours of work per week with two days working in The Center. We also hope that our long term intern will become a mentor to our semester-long interns each season.
The Center for Sexual Pleasure and Health welcomes individuals (college students and new professionals preferred) who aspire to enter into the field of sexuality to apply to be interns. The internship program is a great educational experience for anyone interested in sex education, web management, marketing, social media, event-planning, public health, research and/or connecting with an amazing, diverse community of sex-positive people from all walks of life.
There are various delineated intern positions, but many of the interns have to work closely together and there is an emphasis on teamwork and cross-pollination. The CSPH is a place for interns to employ skills that they already have while gaining more knowledge about the field of sexuality. Applicants should be confident and preferably have experience in doing the tasks that they are applying for so they can utilize their time learning about gender and sexuality and deepening their skills, not learning how to perform their tasks (e.g. if you are applying to be the Website Content and Management intern, comfort with working on a WordPress website and computers is expected and required).
We encourage individuals to bring new ideas to the table and to arrive with a strong interest in collaboration. If this sounds exciting to you, stay tuned for our application submission announcement which will take place in mid-November.
NOTE: You must be at least 18 years of age to intern at The CSPH.
REQUIREMENTS AND EXPECTATIONS
• Consistent Internet access
• Experience with Google Calendar and Google Drive, or willingness to learn and use them consistently
• A Facebook account
• If you are applying to be a local intern (you live close enough to drive to The CSPH) you are expected to come in to The CSPH at least 2 times per week (for 6.5-hour shifts each time). Limited spots for distance interns may be available, but we will prioritize local individuals when making selections.
• Be comfortable around sexual content, books, media, and other materials
• Work individually and in a group (depending on tasks)
• Dress in appropriate attire (business casual, please) when at The CSPH or when representing The CSPH
• Show up for shifts and mandatory CSPH events on time (and give plenty of notice if there are issues). This is one of your most important tasks. Note: if there is a change in your shift, it is expected that you make up any missed days or hours the following week
• Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner
• Take initiative! We want motivated interns who really want to take advantage of this opportunity and all it can bring
• Communicate effectively, appropriately (verbally and in writing), and frequently with staff and other interns. This includes being conscious of the tone and language that you use, and showing respect for others’ personal lives/boundaries
• Be willing to help out with some unexpected projects that may arise
• Write a review for any toy you are given, which will be posted on The CSPH site
• Complete a weekly report on time (document that reports hours worked and other task and internship-related information) every Sunday by midnight
• Complete a mid-way self-evaluation as well as have a formal check-in with staff
• Complete an exit self-evaluation form at the end of the semester and schedule an Exit Interview with Staff to discuss the self-evaluation (if you want to extend your participation in the program, you will also have to fill out another short form as a re-application)
• Acknowledge and understand that your work load may potentially increase during the end of the internship (due to finishing up your tasks, school finals and projects, etc…), but that your commitment to your work/hours put in each week at The CSPH will not be affected or changed due to these outside factors
Trainings & Attendance at Mandatory Meetings:
*Full participation in a 2-day training is mandatory. Applicants that cannot attend both days in full will not be considered.*
• Intern Training:
Saturday, January 31, 2015. 10:00-6:00pm Sunday, February 1, 2015. 10:00-6:00pm
• Shadow Executive Director during at least 1 of her workshops and complete 1 Shadowing Evaluation form for this workshop (fill out in Google Drive within 1 week of the presentation). Any workshops attended beyond the first do not require an evaluation form and do not count towards weekly hours unless attendance has been deemed mandatory.
• Attend at least 1 professional speakers’ workshop or lecture and fill out a Professional Speaker Evaluation form within 1 week of the presentation.
Approximate Time Commitment:
• For the spring internship, the position requires a minimum of 15 hours a week (for local interns–at least two 6.5-hour shifts at the CSPH, plus 3 hours of work at home/off-site each week). For the Programming and Outreach interns, at-home and in-house hours are more flexible because some hours will have to be shifted to attending or facilitating CSPH-related events.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A SPOT
To apply, please fill out and submit the application form by the deadline. The application includes an updated resume and two writing samples, as well as portfolio material for any applicants who are interested in working in a visual media capacity (graphic design, editing videos, creating animation).