Every other week, The CSPH takes a look at a sexual aid that can be very helpful for some people and should be highlighted. This week we take a look at the We-Vibe Classic.
How does this work, anyway?
The We-Vibe Classic is the original We-Vibe design (with some upgrades), but it’s far from your “classic” vibrator. It’s made of silky-soft medical-grade silicone and it’s shaped like a flexible “U.” Each end of the “U” has a bulb with its own separate vibrator, and it’s programmed with 10 customizable settings that vibrate, pulse, wave, and echo to the user’s desire! We-Vibe originally created this “couple’s vibrator” design to be used during penetrative vaginal sex, which often doesn’t offer enough external stimulation for clitoris-owners to have an orgasm. Besides, there are countless sexy ways that folks put their bodies together that aren’t so hetero or penetrative (we’ll get to that later).
The instruction manual directs users to use a little lube to insert the smaller end of the vibrator into the vagina (where it will hopefully reach their g-zone) and let the larger end curve up to lay against their clitoris. Then, they can have penetrative sex with the vibrator in place, and change the vibration modes with either the small remote that comes in the package or with the app! Because it comes with an app to control the toy, it makes the We-Vibe Classic a great choice for increasing intimacy with a partner who is not physically present – simply grant them permission to control the vibrator for that session!
Before we move on, it’s important to note that we don’t recommend using the We-Vibe anally since it doesn’t have a wide enough flange to prevent being sucked into the butt. However, it can be used to stimulate the perineum (the “taint,” area behind the balls and before the anus or between the vaginal opening and the anus). Also, clitoris-owners who like deep, rumbly vibrations might want to add extra pressure with their fingers or palm, while folks who like more buzzy, light vibrations can just set it in place and play with the vibration settings using the remote or the app until they find their favorite.
The We-Vibe Classic takes about 4 hours to charge, which allows it to last for about 3 hours of stimulation. It comes in purple, and is a little pricey at $150 – but considering the tons of creative ways to use this little dual-stim vibrator, it could be quite a satisfying purchase! It’s important to note that, like all dual-stim vibrators, the We-Vibe won’t stimulate all the right places on everyone who uses it. Genital anatomy is gloriously diverse, and what might feel amazing on one person might completely miss the mark with someone else. If you like the idea of this toy but the shape isn’t the right fit, We-Vibe also makes the We-Vibe 4+ – the same vibrator with a different internal size/shape. Here are some other options for using the We-Vibe that aren’t in the manual, but might turn out to be juuuust right for you:
- The We-Vibe can be used as a masturbation/mutual masturbation device for folks who have a wide range of genital structures. The packaging even says that users should try it out on their own before using it with a partner to get a feel for how you like to use it and what modes are your favorites!
- Vagina-owners can raise the bar for masturbation by inserting it into their vagina and applying pressure, movement, friction, and/or stimulation with their palm or fingers.
- Vulva-owners can use the two arms of the “U” to push their labia together in a “pussy hug” and provide yummy indirect stimulation to the clitoris.
- Penis-owners can wrap it around their shaft, break out their favorite water-based lube, and use it as a stroking toy.
- Penis-owners can also use it as a constriction-like device held around the base of the penis or around the testicles.
- It can be used to increase stimulation when partners are having hand sex (manual stimulation) as extra g-zone stimulation or even external prostate stimulation!
- It can be used as a variation for oral sex on a penis-owner, too! It can be wrapped around and held at the base of the shaft, either as a constriction device, light stimulation on the testicles (with the bulbs pointing towards the butt), or as a stroking toy.
- The ends can be gently pinched together and used as vibrating nipple stimulation! It won’t stay there on its own, though.
- It’s impossible to name all the ways that folks can use a diverse vibrator like this. Think of it as a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure!
Pro-tip: the single button on the We-Vibe itself can be difficult to press, especially when things get hot and heavy, and fingers might be slippery. The app or the remote are more fail-safe methods for switching up the mode mid-pleasure. Finally, be careful not to go overboard with lube, because this little vibe tends to get displaced and move around if things get too slippery!
The We-Vibe classic is 100% waterproof, so don’t worry about getting a little wet when you clean it. Soap and water will do the trick – just don’t boil it, or you’ll fry the vibes inside it! It comes with a convenient case for storage that will keep it safe and away from dust while it’s charging or not being used, and prevent it from turning on during travel.
While The CSPH does its best to provide thorough and unbiased product reviews, it should be noted that the information here is not a substitute for medical instruction or advice. The CSPH is not responsible for accidents that may occur from the use of this product. Please contact your medical provider if you have any further questions or concerns.