• 401.489.5513
  • 250 Main St #1 Pawtucket, RI 02860
  • Tuesday-Friday: 12 to 6pm & by appointment

Putting Action to Our Words

August 18, 2017
The Posting Maven

Dear CSPH Community,

We are outraged and disheartened by the white supremacists and Nazis who terrorized Charlottesville last weekend. While this fascism, racism, trans and homophobia, and anti-semitism is not new or surprising, it has compelled us to speak up and take action in new ways.

We had every intention of celebrating #AnalPleasureMonth with you all in this week’s newsletter, but the truth is that it is often a privilege to be able to prioritize pleasure when one’s life and dignity is threatened. This week we are writing instead to reaffirm our commitment to providing sex education that is anti-racist, anti-ableist, and queer and trans inclusive.
At the CSPH, we have long espoused these core values:

Today, we’re putting action to our to words in these ways:

(1) This November we’ll be asking for your help to raise $25,000 to support the CSPH’s work providing culturally inclusive, medically accurate, and pleasure informed sexuality education. It will be our largest fundraising campaign to date and meeting our goal is critical, but we know that there are many organizations fighting for racial justice on the ground in places like Charlottesville and across the country.

When we meet our $25,000 goal, we’ll immediately put 80% of it to use to sustain and grow our programs and services. The remaining 20% will be donated to organizations coordinating direct action responses to white supremacy and uplifting the lives and work of women of color. We want to hear from you. If there’s an organization you know of that’s doing incredibly valuable work to fight fascism, racism, anti-semitism, and transphobia reply to this e-mail and let us know where you’d like to see us put our dollars to work.

(2) Earlier this month we released our second self-paced online course –Intersectionality for Human Service Professionals: The Basics. The course is designed to give learners an understanding of the ways we reinforce biased thinking and to make clear the importance of acknowledging visible and hidden identities when working in human services. Now through the end of August this course is 100% free using the code RESISTHATE. Please do share it widely.

(3) We’re continuing to host a series of workshops on Non-Toxic Masculinity. The next workshop – which will examine rape culture and discuss what is needed to build a culture of consent – will be held on Wednesday, August 23 from 7 to 9pm is sold out, but we’ll soon be announcing and launching registration for the third and final workshop of this series. Check back on our Facebook page next week and e-mail us hereif you’d want to see more workshops like these in the future.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of how we’ll be working to fight white supremacy and systemic oppression here at the CSPH. Together our staff and Board of Directors will continue to find ways to use our platform and reach to stand firmly against hate. Please join us in doing so. 

In solidarity,

Kayla Wingert
Executive Director

Comments are closed.